Wisdom Tooth Extraction
Dr. Kashfian, Beverly Hills wisdom teeth extraction dentist, and Chatsworth wisdom teeth extraction dentist, performs this procedure in his office.
Wisdom teeth are extracted in order to correct an existing oral health issue or prevent any issues that may arise in the future. Wisdom tooth eruption can cause many complications. In some cases, there may not be sufficient jaw bone for wisdom teeth to properly erupt and teeth may become impacted. Serious issues can be developed as a result of impacted teeth, such as infection, cyst formation, and damage to surrounding teeth and bone. In other cases, teeth may partially erupt. Some wisdom teeth may erupt at an angle, which makes it extremely difficult to clean the tooth.
Wisdom Tooth Extraction Beverly Hills and Chatsworth
Dr. Kashfian begins wisdom teeth extraction with the application of a topical anesthetic. Local anesthetics will then be administered to help numb the area surrounding the extraction site. General anesthetics can also be used if multiple wisdom teeth are to be extracted. General anesthesia helps patients sleep through the entire procedure, allowing them to be as comfortable as possible.
During this procedure, Dr. Kashfian, expert in wisdom tooth extraction in Beverly Hills and expert in wisdom tooth extraction n Beverly Hills, will carefully make an incision in the gum, exposing the tooth and surrounding bone. Any bone that hinders access to the tooth will be removed. If necessary, wisdom teeth will be skillfully sectioned and then removed. After extraction, Dr. Kashfian will irrigate the site to remove any fragments of tooth. If necessary, sutures may be placed in order to promote healing. Gauze will then be placed over the extraction site to help contain bleeding and to promote the formation of blood clots.
The recovery period after a wisdom tooth extraction typically lasts a few days. It is important to take all medications as prescribed by Dr. Kashfian to help alleviate pain and promote healing. There are a few simple steps to follow:
• Activity should be kept to a bare minimum after wisdom tooth extraction. Avoiding strenuous activity is recommended since this may cause the blood clot to become dislodged.
• Beverages consumed after surgery should consist of water so that you could stay fully hydrated. Alcohol, caffeinated, carbonated or hot beverages should be avoided within the first 24 hours after the extraction. In addition, drinking through a straw should be completely avoided since this too can cause blood clots to become dislodged.
• Food consumed within the first 24 hours should be soft in texture and should not require chewing. Semi-soft foods can be incorporated when they are tolerable. However, chewy, spicy, and extremely hard foods should be avoided since they can become lodged into the socket, causing irritation to the extraction site.
• Cleaning the oral cavity following the surgery should involve a warm salt water rinse. It is recommended that patients rinse after every meal consecutively for a week following the extraction. Avoid brushing and rinsing the mouth with antiseptic wash for the first 24 hours. Brushing can be resumed after the initial 24-hour period, however, Dr. Kashfian advises patients to be gentle near the extraction site.
• Tobacco use is not recommended following the surgery. Smoking is prohibited immediately following the surgery and chewing tobacco should be avoided, at least for a week. Any use of tobacco following the surgery can increase the risk of developing oral health complications.
Dr. Kashfian can provide you with more information about wisdom teeth, when it is necessary to remove them and what to expect from a wisdom tooth removal surgery. Contact our office to schedule an appointment.