Dental bridges are restorations that are specifically designed to bridge the gap in between missing teeth. These dental devices are composed of two anchoring teeth, most commonly known as abutments, which lie on either side of the missing tooth. Abutment teeth provide much needed support for the artificial tooth. Dr. Kashfian, expert in dental bridges in Beverly Hills and Chatsworth, can place a bridge on natural teeth as well as dental implants.
There are many benefits to dental bridges. They can:
• Restore the smile to its most natural state
• Restore the ability to chew and speak properly
• Help maintain the shape of the face
• Help distribute bite forces evenly
• Prevent neighboring teeth from drifting into vacated spaces left by missing teeth
Various types of dental bridges are available:
• Traditional Bridges: This dental restoration is considered to be the most common type of bridge used to restore missing teeth. In this procedure, dental crowns will be placed on abutment teeth in order to provide support for missing teeth.
• Cantilever bridge: These bridges are ideal for patients who need an alternative to traditional dental bridges. Since no metal claps are needed, the restoration will be aesthetically pleasing.
• Maryland Bridges: This resin based restoration is most commonly placed on front teeth. Maryland bridges are considered to be a conservative alternative to traditional bridges since they require minimal alteration of teeth.
To place a dental bridge, Dr. Kashfian carefully alters abutment teeth to accommodate for the crowns. Impressions will be taken after preparation and be sent to a dental laboratory for processing. In order to protect the prepared teeth from sensitivity, harmful bacteria and damage, a temporary bridge will be placed.
After the dental bridge has been fabricated by the lab, the temporary bridge will be removed. Dr. Kashfian will then check the permanent bridge for its fit and will make any necessary adjustments. If the dental bridge fits perfectly without any complications, it will then be permanently bonded to the tooth.
Dental bridges can last up to 10 years, with proper care. Routine visits to Dr. Kashfian, along with proper oral care habits, will help preserve the aesthetics and function of the bridge.
Dental bridges should be brushed and flossed regularly in order to prevent the onset of gum disease and tooth loss. Dr. Kashfian will explain the proper techniques on how to brush and floss so that you can maintain your smile for years to come. If you would like further information about dental bridges or any other treatment, feel free to contact our office. We will be glad to answer any questions you may have.