Gummy Smile Reduction
Gummy smiles are often classified according to the gummy smile scale, measuring the tooth to gum tissue ratio when smiling. Dr. Kashfian, Beverly Hills gummy smile reduction dentist and Chatsworth gummy smile reduction dentist, thoroughly evaluates a patient’s smile to assess the severity of the case. Gummy smiles range from mild and moderate to advanced, and severe.
There are quite a few treatment options available to help correct gummy smiles. Gingivectomy, crown lengthening, and lip repositioning surgery can all be used to help enhance the smile. Gingivectomy is a relatively routine procedure used to help correct minor gumminess in smiles. Advanced gummy smiles would benefit from gum tissue reduction procedures such as crown lengthening. Both soft tissue and surrounding bone are adjusted to ideal position. Lip repositioning surgery allows lips to be surgically repositioned, leading to less exposure of the gingiva when smiling.
Gummy smiles can be caused by many factors, including:
• Excess growth of gum tissue due to certain medications or calcium channel blockers
• Inflammation due to poor oral hygiene, periodontal disease, or failing dental restorations
• Excess development of bone on the outer surface of the upper jaw bone
• Overgrowth of gum tissue due to orthodontic treatments
• Hyperactive upper lip muscle
If you are interested in receiving a gummy smile reduction consultation, or would like more information, contact Dr. Kashfian, expert in gummy smile reduction in Beverly Hills and Chatsworth.